Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Space Between...work and life.

(the following is a blog a wrote for work, 1 of 2 so far, I liked it so I figured I'd post it here in The Space Between)

Because I’m the mommy, that’s why…

When my boss first told us about the blog on the website, he indicated that he really wanted everyone to contribute. I thought, “Hmmm, ok. Blog. I can do that.” Then I thought again. What would I possibly blog about? Being the Mossey staffer with the longest commute, I could share my thoughts on gas prices...ummm, no. Having two children younger than 5, I could share endless rants about children’s programming…hmmm, maybe. Or being an avid fan of musical theater, I could share my thoughts on the “Hollywoodization” (it’s a word – it’s all over other people’s blogs) of Broadway…ahhh, next month. (Just kidding). One thing I do feel fairly safe in talking about, is what I like and why. I figure if you like it too, then we’ve got something to talk about. If you don’t, then we still have something to talk about. So here’s my first Mossey Group blog:

I pay attention to commercials. (Big surprise!) When I see one that sparks my interest, I can’t wait to see it again. When I hear one with catchy music, look out. To me the most memorable commercials either have great music, star power, or reflect a little bit of real life. (But not too much…we need something fanciful) The spot I’ve attached here has the latter. I love this spot. This video has Spanish text, but the message is unchanged.

So why do I like this? Because I’m a mommy! The little bit of reality here is that my kids would do this every night if they could. And if they could magically flop down and fall instantly asleep…I can’t even finish that thought…there are no words. You see, it’s only been a few months that my kids have shared a room and both been in “big kid beds”.
The novelty is still fresh for them and bouncing back and forth is a nightly ritual. It’s actually rather precious, as they usually try very hard to stay as quiet as possible but inevitably end up giggling or full out laughing prompting a trip up the stairs by yours truly. “Guys, you need to lay down and go to sleep. No more jumping.” “Why?” “Because I’m the mommy, and those are my directions, that’s why.” And every time I say it, something deep inside cringes a little. Do I really expect a 4 year old and a 2 year old to believe this as a reasonable explanation…well, yes! Anyway, when I hear the thumping on the floor and the stifled giggles through the monitor, this spot comes to mind.

So we’ve got the little bit of reality covered. What else? Come on! The kid is cute, the footsie pjs are cute, and the bouncy music is catchy. I also really like that there is no voice over. You get it. I could have done without the snoring sound effects…but that’s minor. Sealy carried this basic principle into their advertising during the 2004 Olympics. You may remember the high jumper, the swimmer, the gymnast, or the synchronized swimming pair, who fall instantly asleep on their Sealy mattresses. Again, no voice over, save for the whispered “Sealy, official supplier of the US Olympic team.”

Bravo, Sealy! (Or should I say, Sealy’s agency!) This is one of my favorite spots ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment