Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Space Between...work and life part 2

(second blog for work. there was supposed to be a third, but i haven't written it yet)

So my favorite commercials have either great music, star power, or a tad of reality. (Sound familiar?) Here’s my plug for great music.

Doin’ things is what I like to do. Not a great descriptive sentence, not really a great sentence at all. But in the capable hands of They Might Be Giants and Hill Holiday, it’s an amazing jingle that will not leave my head! The first time I saw this spot I said, “That is the stupidest song…doin things is what I like to do (in an over the top “stupid” voice)…no kidding.” Then the next time, by the end of the :60 I was humming. Next day: “I’m slightly more efficient than I previously was…” What?!? Yes, it was stuck.

I like the beat, the melody, the harmony…plus it’s a commercial jingle that has the words “efficient”, “productive”, and “previous” (TWICE!)…how can you not appreciate that?!

I dare you, triple dog dare you, to watch this spot and then not have this song in your head the next time you walk down the street with a DD cup in your hands.

Slightly related: They Might Be Giants have been around since 1984 and have released many albums as well as done commercials, TV theme songs and kids albums.
Apparently during a 2004 tour, TMBG recorded songs about each of the venues they played, including The Egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment