Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Space Between...myspace and MY space

Is dangerous.
It's actually not just myspace. It's "social networking" - a blur of pictures, comments, statuses, pokes, and NO context. Photos posted that have captured a second of candid activity, that can in one second more cast an impression that hurts someone. A status or mood update that can be obsolete or even an all out lie a second later. A "super poke" that others view as super loaded with hidden meaning. Hidden friends, top friends, hottest friends - not really friends. And it's all there - for the world - or at least your "friends" to see.
Could be you catch wind of a gathering of friends you were not invited to, see photos that portray a friend or family member in a way you disapprove of...whatever.
I guess it comes down to how much stock you put in it. I have had several of these unpleasant online experiences lately and so I place great stock in them, right now. But really isn't the internet all about "right now" anyway? The trick is to not let myspace (or the like) pollute my space. I signed up for those sites in an effort to reconnect with old friends and share photos of my kids...I can do that without "social networking".
And so I'm done for now. It's time to let the space between myspace and my space grow bigger for a while.
And here's to filling that space, with quality, real things - not an abundance of virtual things.

No comments:

Post a Comment